Cultu UR Technologie Directory The Gamer Ally Review Blog: My Top Ten Video Game List! :D

FaceBook Like

Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Top Ten Video Game List! :D

Subscribe to us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter

Ok, quick introduction here, Hi guys it's GPS Gaming from The Gamer Ally here. For anyone who doesn't know, I'm the LP-er of the group. I play through Video Games and show you guys where to find all the good stuff, so here we go...Oh also in addition these are only Home Console Games, I have a seperate list mostly comprised of Pokemon for the mobile gaming platforms, so again, here we go:




Top Ten List:
#10: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time




Ok, I know I know, the first thing you're going to say is..."WHY ISN'T THIS NUMBER 1? YOU SUCK!" Well, truth is, I want to focus on a little more "new" and to be honest, I've never actually finished this game (which I will do, and you WILL see soon enough). Back in 1998, when this game came out, Ocarina of Time was made on the biggest capacity cartridge Nintendo owned, which makes total sense. In this game Link set out on a quest to defeat Ganandorf. Along the way, he finds several interesting characters, and eventually defeats the evil Tyrant (the fate of whom is revealed in Twilight Princess).
Interestingly enough, this is the first "Link" in Hyrule to ever venture cross Hyrule or anything of that sort (Not including Skyward Sword of course). Of course this was one of the first games to make gamers cry once they reached a certain dungeon...the WATER TEMPLE! Anyway, this epic also had an amazing story, it included a certain sword, an evil villain, a princess, and time travel! That's right about half-way across the game, the player is given access to the Master Sword, which also plunges the player several years into the future.
This game is so awesome, that it's been remade! I know, and not just once, not twice, but three times! Once on Gamecube Collector's disc, once on the Wii, and now coming up on the Nintendo 3DS. That's just how awesome it is. This was a must have for every gamer back in the day, and I remember the day when one of the Gamer Ally member's got this game. So, play, and enjoy! Also here's some nostalgia for all you guys...



#9: Star Fox 64



DO A BARREL ROLL!
 Next one up, is Star Fox 64. I loved this game, I mean I loved this game! From being able to choose your own path, to the secrets inside of each level, and the immense replay value. We played this game, must have been dozens of times. This game came out in 1997, and was the first Nintendo game to include a Rumble Pack. In Star Fox 64, the player controls one of the vehicles piloted by Fox McCloud, usually an Arwing. Most of the game takes place in "Corridor Mode," which forces Fox's vehicle down a fixed path straight forward through the environment. The player can maneuver somewhat around the path and slow their vehicle temporarily, but cannot truly stop or change direction. Some stages of the game, including many bosses, take place in "All-Range Mode". In this variant the player can move freely within the confines of a large arena to engage in combat. I guess one of my favorite parts of this game was when you successfully save a large group of your teammates and at the end of the mission you all fly together, I don't know I always thought that was cool, I guess, it's just me then... :(   I'm just kidding. Anyway, the story of this game has you fighting your way through the universe to get to the main last boss, Andross. Eventually you do so, and finish off with an epic cutscene! So without further ado, let's continue on the list.


#8: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards






By now, you guys are probably wondering why I have so many Nintendo 64 games on this list, well I just have a lot of Nostalgia from that point. Most of that Nostalgia also involves this game in particular. I loved combining all the possible attack powers, in fact, There are seven different copy abilities in Kirby 64, and any two can be merged to create a new copy ability. They are Burn, Stone, Ice, Needle, Bomb, Spark, and Cutter. Though Kirby only needs one element in his body to gain an extra attack, Copy Abilities can also be merged with abilities of the same type for more powerful versions of the basic abilities. In total there are 35 abilities, combined and stand-alone. Combined abilities are usually stronger or have added effects.
This, and Star Fox, weren't huge games, but they fit the bill, in the way that they had the right blend of Awesome! After all, who doesn't love Awesome? This game came out in 2000 on the Nintendo 64 and was re-released in 2008 on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console.
This game ran as a 2.5D Platform. What this means is that it was 3D in many aspects, it had all kinds of 3D effects, but Kirby could only travel in three directions, Forwards, Backwards, and Up, when you jump. It was like a 2D platformer but with 3D effects, not too complicated. 
This game has Kirby and Friends travel through 6 worlds including the Dark Star, the Product of Zero Two (The Main Boss) or Darkmatter. I loved the graphics, colors, and puzzles in this game. Not a whole lot to say about this game except I hope everybody gets to play this game eventually.


#7: Super Smash Bros. Brawl






A New Challenger has appeared, and so has the best Nintendo Crossover game ever! The makers of this game really took a big leap forward with the story for this game. A mysterious cloaked figure appears during a tournament and sucks it all into anti-space. Needless to say, the rest of the Nintendo gang gets involved and soon, they all team up to kick some major ass! It has the right elements, great graphics, awesome music, and of course the immense library of characters. My personal pick, would probably be Lucario, or Sonic, whatever the point is the story for this game is pretty in-depth. If you are good enough, you start unlocking acheivements and trophies, new music, and stickers. This just adds to the replay value, and this game conserves it's "Classic" story mode which has you battle several different stages and prove you are more awesome than a Giant floating hand. A tournament mode, Special fight mode, and create-your-own-stage mode complete this game and have players play for hours on end. It's a bit like LittleBigPlanet (Darn I forgot that one, oh well) except with badass fighters who just want to kick the s*** out of each other. It's a little like my next pick...


#6: Super Street Fighter IV






At number six we have the addicting Super Street Fighter IV. I chose this game, because of it's awesome graphics and large character list, which is the reason I chose it over the original Street Fighter IV. This game has a remake on the iOS devices and on the Nintendo 3DS. As good as most of the characters are, I prefer Ryu and Ken, because of their signature style of "HADOKEN!" Two years after the original, this game was released in 2010. There's not much to say to this game, but it's a 2D fighter, which is simple and clean. I also liked the animated cutscene right before and after each character's campaign. Again, I apologize for not being able to say much, but it's just a really good game. I guess we should just keep going on to the next one then...




#5: Okami






Okami was originally released in 2006 on the Playstation 2, it didn't receive as much fame as it did in 2008 when it was re-released for the Nintendo Wii. Except for one particular optional move you can purchase, this move was flawless, in just about every way. The plot was so involving and interesting, I found myself wanting more. The control's were upgraded on the port over to the wii, including the Celestial Brush. The Celestial Brush is a gimmick of the game that allows the player to be a badass and control nature. Throughout the game, Amaterasu, the main character, meets a small Celestial Envoy named Issun, (Who acts as a Navi or a Midna) along the way they encounter several dungeons and bosses very much similar to the Legend of Zelda Franchise. In fact, much of this game is compared to the Zelda series, but I can assure you, it's too awesome to be a simple copy. Just so you guys know, in Japanese Okami means God and Wolf. Anyway, I definitely recommend this game to everyone.




#4: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle






Of course, no list would be complete without the gift from the gods. This story introduces the first anti-hero (not including knuckles) to the Sonic Franchise. It was a normal day, ya know Sonic doing his thing, beating up baddies, running as fast as he can, until Dr. Eggman the notorious bad guy of the franchise decides he wants to steal something called Project Shadow, the project for the Ultimate life-form invented on the Space Colony Ark. Needless to say, Dr. Eggman finds Project Shadow in a frozen state. Out of gratitude to his new master for freeing him, Shadow decides to help Dr. Eggman take over the world. Shadow takes Eggman to a place called Space Colony Ark to show him a large death cannon that could wipe out planets if all seven chaos emeralds are used. So Eggman has Shadow steal the chaos emeralds from different locations, not realizing Shadow's ulterior motive. Shadow has vowed revenge against the human race for killing his only friend, Maria, on Space Colony Ark 50 years ago. Shadow is filmed on the local news, and for some reason everyone thinks that he is Sonic. So much so, that they capture Sonic to take him to Prison Island, the location where Dr. Gerald Robotnik (Dr. Eggman's Grandfather) was incarcerated 50 years ago for building the giant cannon and Space Colony Ark. Anyway, I'm not going to spoil the rest for you, just know it's one of the most fun Sonic Games I have ever played. Accessible after you unlock a key in-game, is the Chao Garden. A place where you can raise Chaos how you want, and if you do it right they might evolve into a Chaos Chao, which is an immortal variant to the normal Chao. Raising Chao might seem like your playing one of the DS's third-party baby games, but I can assure you, it's much more fun than that. In order for you to properly raise Chao, you must go back to the levels and gain money from high scores and get animals or Chao Drives to aid in Chao evolution. Anyway, I chose this game because it's  definitely worth it. It has a ton of replay value, and I recommend it to every die-hard Sonic fan. Besides the Hero and Villain side of stories, you can unlock the final story which finishes the story and really ties it all together.




  #3: Super Mario Galaxy & Super Mario Galaxy 2








No list would be complete without this game. Before these two games, gravity-based platforms did exist, but none as awesome as these. Each world was so beautiful and the songs were so well orchestrated I hope they release a third installment. The original was released in 2007, whilst the sequel was released three years later in 2010. The controls for these games were so catchy, that this game provided no frustration at all in that department. Mario did exactly what you wanted, and that's what audiences wanted. Anyway, both games have the same story. Bowser kidnaps the princess (I take that back these games share the story with every Mario game in existence) on the night of the 100 year Star Festival. Both games have the same story, except they are in different universes. It's like the other game never happened in other words. Neither game focuses to hard on story, I mean who needs story on a Mario game, as long as it has awesome visuals, great songs, and amazing levels, it's all good. I give both these games double Thumbs-up.




#2: inFamous




I've been waiting for this one.
This game came out in 2009. It was rivaled by the Video Game Prototype which was another Super Hero Video Game. Personally, I prefer this game, I'll LP this game, and eventually hopefully the sequel. This game blew my mind when I first played through it, the surprise ending sent me for a loop.
This game really broke the mold in the SuperHero Video Games, which makes me ask myself where to begin, I'll start off with the Story...or maybe the abilities...or maybe....I'll just do the story for now...
So what's the thing you love the most? Me, I love just doing my job when BAM! A bomb explodes in my hand. Yup, that's what I love, at least that's what happened to Cole MacGrath, the hero of this game. Let me start over, So one day Cole wakes up, and finds that everything around him has suffered from a major explosion. After a bit of time, he gets knocked out again and wakes up in the hospital where he accidentally finds out he has SuperPowers. His town is under quarantine after the explosion. In a desperate attempt to escape, they try to leave through the island city's main bridge exit. When they seem to find the light at the end of the tunnel, they find dozens of turrets at the exit of the Bridge, killing the citizens that accompany Cole. Cole is the only one to escape, except for Zeke, Cole's Best Friend who helps him learn to use his powers. Cole encounters a government FBI agent, Moya, who personally threatens Cole to help her and find her husband. So Cole accepts missions by Moya, while gaining new powers by going underground and re-establishing circuits of the city. I'm not going to spoil the rest, but let's move on...



As I said before, Cole gains new powers by re-establishing circuits underground. For Example, Cole gains the power to heal, imprison, or suck the life out of enemies and civilians. You cannot heal enemies, but depending on the choices you make called "Karmic Decisions," decide whether Cole becomes a good guy or a dictator of the town. The powers and clothing Cole wears also depend on the Karma in the game. Also in the game are things called Blast Shards, Blast Shards upgrade the amount of electricity you can hold, and trust me there are a lot of them, and I mean a Lot! So that's the basic gist, except for the fact that certain story scenes are played like Comic Books, This is done beautifully and I for one love this game, and can't wait for the sequel in June. Moving on...




#1


The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess








What else is there to say about this game, except that I've played this game 3 times! This game first came out in 2006 along with the release of the Wii. Personally, I think it's better than most Wii titles today. Twilight Princess absolutely blew.my.mind. Spectacular Visuals, Outstanding Music, And Marvelous Gameplay. They pulled out all the stops when they made this game, and I'm not kidding when I say all the stops. I will LP this game one day, and I will LP the sequel too, it's Amazing. It's an obvious choice for a number one, and I know I've been repeating myself with these games, when I say amazing graphics and blah blah blah. But this one is a cut above the rest. Seriously, if you don't play this game at least once in your life, then you're missing out on a major epic. I guess the only downside to this game is that it's not an original to the Wii, it first came onto the Gamecube and was a port-over. They were released together, at the same time, but I heard the Gamecube version is a mirror of the Wii version. I've always wanted to see this, I never have and eventually I'll want to check it out one day. Anyway, this game takes place about 100 years after the events of Ocarina of Time and follows Link and his new "Navi," Midna. This game is so beautiful I hope Skyward sword is like this game.
Ok so here's the deal, The story starts off nice and easy in Ordon Village, the pinnacle of peace. Everybody there, is happy and peaceful. Every villager trusts Link, as he is a perfect role model for their children. One day, Link comes home on his trusty horse Epona after a long day of work to meet up with the Mayor and his daughter Ilia (Link's childhood friend). Ilia finds out that Link has accidentally injured Epona on a jump over a fence. She steals Epona away to the Ordon Spring completely mad at Link and her Father. Link meets up with Ilia through the aid of one of the children in the village, Colin. Colin is an aspiring young boy, who one day wishes to become like link and learn how to ride a horse. He does not, however, want to learn how to wield a blade like link does, he finds it barbaric and thinks it's too violent. When Link arrives at the Ordon Spring, he finds Ilia tending to Epona's leg wound. Ilia and Link apologize, before King Bulbin and his group kidnap Ilia, Colin, and the rest of the Ordonian children. Link is knocked out and taken to the Twilight Realm. A realm parallel to ours, where sadness and an evil dictator took over.
In the Twilight Realm, Link finds a character named Midna, who seems sadistic at first, but eventually helps Link on his journey. I personally found Midna as one of the most interesting "Navi's" in any game. In the Twilight Realm, also, Link is not in his normal form. Link has transformed into a Wolf. With the help of Midna, he learns how to control this new body, and get out of the twilight realm. The involving storyline is just so interesting, it really makes this game as amazing as it is, besides the graphics and music.




The controls for this game are pretty simple, swing the WiiMote to attack, B to use a weapon, and D-Pad on the WiiMote to select different Items, Wolf abilities, and help from Midna. The Joystick on the Nunchuk moves Link where he needs too, and the Z-button Locks onto the opponent. The controls are easy to navigate and simple, no more no less.






When I said before they pulled out all the stops, I really meant it. This game is so in-depth, it makes sense that they took so long to make this game. I cannot praise this game anymore, It's too awesome. The graphics (especially for one of the first games on the Wii) are amazing, the water effects, the full complete-ness of each level, and the amazing underwater, overwater, and in the sky (basically all of them) levels are just magnificent. Their are various terrains, from the peaceful woods of Ordon, the deep valley of Hyrule Field, the beautiful lakes in each province, the dangerous volcanoes, and the hot deserts of Gerudo. Let's not forget the music, the deeply-orchestrated music provides the addiction of this game to an extreme. I'm not kidding when I say this game is awesome and make it my Number 1 on this list. It is definitely worthy, in my eyes, to be the best game I have ever played!






Thanks for Reading!
-GPS Gaming

No comments:

Post a Comment